BAUCHI ASSEMBLY TO ENSURE STRICT IMPLEMENTATION OF 2021 BUDGET.
The Speaker of the Bauchi State House of Assembly Rt. Hon. Abubakar Y Suleiman has said that the legislative arm will perform its oversight function to ensure that the 2021 budget is implemented in order to deliver dividends of democracy to all constituencies.
He made the remarks during the presentation of the 2021 budget passed by the State Assembly to Governor Bala Abdulkadir Mohammed for assent at the Banquet Hall, Government House Bauchi on Tuesday.
Rt. Hon. Abubakar Suleiman called on the Executive not to misunderstand their effort to ensure the strict implementation of the budget through oversight functions as an attempt to witch-hunt the Chief Executives of MDAs or a way of enriching themselves but rather the exercise of their constitutional right to ensure check and balances.
Speaker Abubakar explained that the timely passage of budget is not unconnected with the Honourable Members’ commitment, patriotism, mutual cooperation and understanding existing between the legislative and the executive arms in the State.
He hoped that the 2021 would be religiously implemented for the provision of dividends of democracy to citizens of the State and commended the cooperation and efforts exhibited by MDAs, particularly the Ministry of Budget and economic Planning which expedite the timely completion of the processes.
“Your Excellency, we are here today once again to present to you the 2021 approved estimates for your assent as required by the Constitution of the Federal Republic of Nigeria 1999 as amended.
“The approved 2021 budget estimates, which has a total of N213,914,559,427.00 was presented to the Honourable House on the 15th of December 2020 for legislations. The total amount consist of N92,994,971,655.00 which represents 43% as recurrent expenditure. While on the other hand, capital expenditure took 57% of the total amount, which is N120,919,587,773.00 “
“The Honourable House, has upon receipt of the bill, suspended all other activities and commenced action immediately and worked round the clock and successfully completed the work within a reasonable time.” He said.
According to the Speaker, the Assembly Your has observed the low performance of the revenue generating MDAs despite the recent passage of the revenue harmonisation bill into law by the Honourable House and called on them to tighten their belts with a view to increasing the internally generated revenue of the State.
Signing the approved 2021 budget, Governor Bala Mohammed thanked members of the State House of Assembly for working round the clock and working very hard in synergy with the State Executive Council to pass the budget within ten days.
The governor promised that the state government will expand the provision of projects across all the nooks and crannies of the state with the inputs of the lawmakers in the budget to ensure equity and justice.
You must log in to post a comment.